RSW – Update #11

RSW2Ready. Set. Write! is a summer writing intensive–more info here. For the next few months, I’ll be posting updates every Monday on my progress and weekly goals. Feel free to join the fun! 🙂

1.  How I did on last week’s goals. I finished reading TINY PRETTY THINGS by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton (which was so good! Reminded me a lot of the scandals on Gossip Girl, and so obviously I loooved it), and I got to 5K on my WIP, but then I had to chop off several hundred words since they sort of veered off in the wrong direction. So, two steps forward, one step back kind of week. Did no yoga, so I’m a huge failure there, haha.

2.  My goal(s) for this week. This is the last week of RSW! Nooooooo! I’m going out with a goal of 5K words and finish reading THE ROYAL WE. Get myself to a yoga class, because clearly motivating myself to do the at home videos is NOT working! I suck at self-motivation for anything fitness related.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.

“One thing Flint has that I will never have is an accurate internal compass.” I like this because he means it directionally, but Flint has all kinds of working internal compasses that my MC does not.

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write). I’ve been overzealously following the Pitch Wars feed, which is still super distracting, but really, I had a very busy week. There was a pool BBQ, two play dates, a friend’s kid’s birthday party, a doctor’s appointment, and a benefit event for a friend’s baby. Good think I found this list of the best smartwatches for my friend. He loved it! However my introvert side wants to spend this entire week hiding under my bed.

5.  Something I love about my WiP. I love that I finally feel like I know where the story is going. Sometimes going down the wrong path is the only way to discover the right one!

How’d your week go?

1. Erin Funk says:

Two steps forward and one step back–why are there so many weeks like that? I hear you on the fitness motivation too. It’s always the thing that gets shuffled to the back burner for me, which isn’t good. I hope this week is a whole lot less busy for you. Good luck getting down another 5k!

2. Pam and Quita says:

We know all about going down the wrong path; however, Pam made a good point about that the other day–she said even when you do that, you learn something about your characters. Good luck this week 🙂

3. Melanie Stanford says:

I have The Royal We on my TBR but I’ll have to add TINY PRETTY THINGS cuz it sounds right up my alley! I loved GG.
    I was at a fam reunion all week so like you, my introvert side needs a major break!
    Have a great week!

Definitely try TINY PRETTY THINGS! There’s drama and intrigue and some pretty serious scheming–page-turner for sure. I hope you get your introvert break this week!

4. Susan Crispell says:

Congrats on hitting your reading and writing goals! Pretty impressive with all of the other activities you had going on. I hope your introvert side gets a rest this week! 🙂

Thank you! 🙂 I spent 90% of my day being a hermit–albeit a hermit with a toddler, so not quite ideal recharging time, but you gotta work with what you got!

5. Jennifer Pickrell says:

“Sometimes going down the wrong path is the only way to discover the right one!”

I second that – I always find my plot in a roundabout way.

Hope you have a relaxing week, although it’s hard to do when the PW announcement is SO FAR AWAY. Seriously, it’s like there are now twice as many hours in a day.

Thanks! I feel like socializing accumulates like sleep debt. I’ve always gotta make up for my socializing time with an equal or greater amount of down time, haha…

6. Alison Miller says:

“Sometimes going down the wrong path is the only way to find the right one.” LOVE THIS. And so true. Also, I hear you on self-motivation for fitness. I am horrible at that! Why I take a tap class. 🙂

Hope you have a great week, Crystal!

7. Katy Upperman says:

Well done hitting your word count goal, lady! Even if you had to chop a chunk later, at least you know where you veered and (hopefully!) where to head now. Wishing you all the luck with it, as well as getting to that yoga class. Rooting for you during this final week, Crystal!