RSW – Update #9

RSW2Ready. Set. Write! is a summer writing intensive–more info here. For the next few months, I’ll be posting updates every Monday on my progress and weekly goals. Feel free to join the fun! 🙂

1.  How I did on last week’s goals. Another not great week–I think my goals were a bit too ambitious since I had my two nieces for the whole week. I barely wrote at all (only a couple hundred words on a new story idea that I needed to exorcise so I could focus on my current WIP). I did yoga only once, because I normally use nap time and seven year olds don’t take naps. I did finish reading WILD by Cheryl Strayed (and watched the movie, too)! And I also read THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART by Jessi Kirby, which was a sad, sweet romance I really enjoyed!

2.  My goal(s) for this week. I’m going to step up the word count goal for this week, since I failed so bad last week: 4,000 words. Fingers crossed! Also, let’s just say I want to do ANY amount of yoga, lol, because I keep failing myself when I overstate my yoga goals. Also, I’d like to read TINY PRETTY THINGS by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton.

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.

Zilch… 🙁

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write). Caring for my twin nieces was exhausting and ate up the bulk of my time. Plus I got sucked into researching mentors for Pitch Wars and watching the interview videos, which took longer than I intended.

5.  Something I love about my WiP. I love that there are so many relationships–lots of romantic tension to keep me all warm and fuzzy.

How’d your week go?

1. Melanie Stanford says:

Researching those mentors takes forever! I’m with ya! I spent hours just going through the blogs. I still have to narrow down my list from 10 to 5.
    I’m just starting THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART. I’m looking forward to it! It reminds me of that Minnie Driver movie RETURN TO ME.

It really does take soooo long to get through all the mentors. I have my five chosen (at least I THINK I do, haha), so hopefully this week I can get more done!

2. Carrie-Anne says:

I hear you about researching mentors for Pitch Wars. I understand it’s about community and learning from everyone, but it would be nice if the list were at least broken up by genre and age category. Good luck with the mentors you choose!

I agree, it would’ve been so much easier if the mentors were divided by genre/age but I guess part of the fun is in the search. It’s like a treasure hunt! 🙂

3. Erin Funk says:

Yeah, getting anything done while watching two seven-year-olds would be darn near impossible. That’s a fun but very busy age. I hope you manage to find some extra writing time this week! Good luck with that next 4k!

Yeah, they are rambunctious, haha… and they make my toddler go CRAZY. It’s like they feed him coffee when my back is turned or something. When it’s just me and my son things are SO much calmer. I am excited to get more done this week!

4. Pam and Quita says:

Pitch Wars mentoring and caring for twins are both GREAT reasons to distract a little bit from your other goals this week. With that being said, it’s amazing that you got ANY reading/writing done so good on ya! Good luck this week 🙂

Haha, I had to at least read a little to keep my sanity. I enforced a strict reading time with the twins when my son was down for his nap. It was my only break! 🙂

5. Alison Miller says:

Good luck with Pitch Wars! And hey – we all have those weeks and you certainly had a reason (good ones!) as to why you were not writing. Hope you have a better week! I’m cheering you on!

6. Katy Upperman says:

Love me some romantic tension! Sorry you weren’t able to get tons of words written in the last week, Crystal, but I think your Pitch Wars research definitely counts as work. Hope you had fun with your nieces, and here’s to lots of words in the next week. Rooting for you!

7. Chuck Robertson says:

I don’t think your time spent with Pitch Wars is wasted. It’s another accomplishment in the writing field that will tend to promote you as a writer.

Hopefully! If I can land a mentor, it’ll all be worth it. If I don’t… well I guess I found some more fun, talented writers to follow on Twitter? Haha…

8. Jennifer Pickrell says:

Romantic tension – I like the sound of that 🙂 I’m pretty much good with all romance in books!

Sounds like you had a chaotic, fun week. And you still had time for a SNI. Don’t you just love how those ideas pop up at the busiest times?

Good luck with all the words this week!

I

Thanks! You’re right, Pitch Wars only happens once a year so I am not going to feel too guilty about trading my writing time for mentor research! 🙂