RSW – Update #8

RSW2Ready. Set. Write! is a summer writing intensive–more info here. For the next few months, I’ll be posting updates every Monday on my progress and weekly goals. Feel free to join the fun! 🙂

1.  How I did on last week’s goals. Not so good. I got down about 2,000 (hard won) words, just barely missing my word count goal of 2,500. I am still only 1/3rd through WILD by Cheryl Strayed. I did a yoga video, um, zero times last week.

2.  My goal(s) for this week. Sticking with 2,500 words on my VAGABONDS story, yoga everyday (I’m watching my twin nieces again this week, so we’ll see how that goes…), and finish WILD so I can start one of the exciting books I just got from the library (THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART by Jessie Kirby and TINY PRETTY THINGS by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton).

3.  A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.

“Total honesty surprises people.”

4.  The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write). Time wasn’t on my side. Too much real life to attend to.

5.  Something I love about my WiP. I love one of my MC’s ex-girlfriends. She’s fun to write because she’s smart and she isn’t willing to implicate herself in the MC’s self-destruction. He kind of implies it’s her fault at one point, and I love that she’s strong enough to know for a fact that, even though she wanted to help him, it was never her responsibility to fix him.

How’d your week go?

1. Alison Miller says:

THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART is one of my favorite Kirbi novels! So good! Good luck with the twins and all the writing and yoga this week! You can do it!

2. Katy Upperman says:

Ooh, I loved THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART. Can’t wait to hear what you think! Need a new YouTube yoga guru? I’m liking Tim Senesi these days. His workouts are legitimately challenging and… he’s not so hard on the eyes. 🙂 Best of luck hitting your goals this week, Crystal!

3. Erin Funk says:

I often feel like the weeks where you have to fight for every word are even more of a success than the weeks where it all flows out and you meet your goals easily. So even if you missed your goal, give yourself a pat on the back for that 2k you fought for!

I need to echo Katy here and say that I loved THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART. Hope you enjoy it just as much! Have a super week and good luck with your goals!

Thanks, Erin! You’re the third person to love THINGS WE KNOW BY HEART! I’m trying not to get my expectations up TOO high, but now I am getting really excited to read it… 🙂

4. Emma Adams says:

I know the struggle with time. If only there were more hours in the day! Good luck with your goals this week. 🙂

5. Elodie says:

Love that little bit you shared about your MC’s ex girlfriend, she sounds like a pretty awesome character to write. And love the line you shared! Cheering you on for your goals this week. You can doooo it 🙂

6. Carrie says:

I love what you shared about your MC’s ex. I wish I had read more characters like that when I was in high school and college 🙂 Good luck this week!

Right? I didn’t intend to have so much focus on my MC’s ex, but I like her so much and she’s sort of forcing her way into a much larger part of the book. I think it’s a good thing! 🙂

7. Jennifer Pickrell says:

Both your library books are on my TBR-list. I haven’t read WILD, but I’ll probably watch the movie adaptation at some point – that counts, right???

Have fun babysitting this week 🙂

Totally counts. I want to watch it, too! I keep trying to imagine how they would’ve filmed it and I want to see if I’m right… I’m almost definitely not, lol.

So will I, lol. Them coupled with my toddler. It’s insane, but I do enforce a strict hour of reading/quiet time when my son goes down for his nap, so I at least get that!