RSW – Update #7

RSW2Ready. Set. Write! is a summer writing intensiveโ€“more info here. For the next few months, Iโ€™ll be posting updates every Monday on my progress and weekly goals. Feel free to join the fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

1.ย  How I did on last weekโ€™s goals.ย I finished the new revisions on my current novel, and I think I made some great changes! I also sent out three more queries, and I started the 30 Days of Yoga challenge on the Yoga with Adriene YouTube channel (Thanks again for the rec, Katy!). And I read three books, one of which was SOME GIRLS ARE by Courtney Summers (ZOMG. Wow.). Overall: success!

2.ย  My goal(s) for this week.ย Get back to drafting THE VAGABONDS and get about 2,500 words written. Read WILD by Cheryl Strayed. Do a yoga video every day this week.

3.ย  A favorite line from my storyย ORย one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.ย

Revision is HARD, y’all.

4.ย  The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write).ย I really had to fight my anxiety this week. About writing, about life–about everything, it seemed like. Tuesday is my 31st birthday, and I’m not one of those people who gets sad about growing older, but for some reason my birthday tends to spiral me into a deep existential crisis every year. Hoping the crisis is over and dealt with so I can get on with my week, lol.

5.ย  Something I love about my WiP.ย Honestly? I love that I can go back to drafting. Did I mention revision is HARD?

Howโ€™d your week go?ย

1. Tonja Drecker says:

Congrats to those queries! And Happy Birthday! My hubs is simply ignoring his this year. . .trying anyway. And good luck with those revisions. They are tough but the MS is SO much better when they’re done. Have a great week!

2. Courtney Leigh says:

#3. yes, yes, and YES to #3. I just finished a revision round that I’ve been working on for 8 MONTHS. Now my MS was longer than it was before I started so I have, guess what, more revisions! Yay!

But we know it’ll all be worth it in the end. ๐Ÿ˜€

Good luck with the writing goals and the yoga goals (I’m doing that same video series!)

Revision does feel never-ending, doesn’t it?? Anyway, thanks! I’m sure you’re probably further along in the videos than me–I just started–do you still like it? I saw that the videos start getting shorter toward the middle, and the viewership steeply declines after the first few videos. So I’m like… uhhh… do they suddenly start getting terrible? lol…

3. Alison Miller says:

Revision is HARD! But so worth it. And I love me some Courtney Summers novels. Have you read CRACKED UP TO BE? You will really ZOMG at that one. Hoo boy.

Good luck with all the things this week! Hope it’s a good one!

Thanks! I haven’t read that, but it’s on my TBR list for sure! I don’t know what it is about her writing, because it seems so simple and not overly lyrical or anything, but it’s SO powerful. Definitely need to read more and study her style, lol.

4. Jaime Morrow says:

Revision really is hard. I feel your pain, Crystal. But it sounds like you had a great week. Very productive! Hope this is another wonderful week. ๐Ÿ™‚ As for birthdays, I often feel very similarly. Like, where am I at in my life right now, and where would I like to be? Yep. Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow!

5. Erin Funk says:

Nicely done on finishing your revisions! It’s great that you feel happy with the changes you made. That’s always a relief and really rewarding after all that work. I hope you enjoy your birthday, despite the yearly existential crisis. I so hear you on that. I’m the exact same way. Have an awesome week and best of luck with those goals! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Carrie-Anne says:

I actually love revisions and edits when it’s an old manuscript, since it’s like getting to write it twice, thrice, or even more. Sometimes, though, it can be difficult to figure out the initial plan of attack.

Happy birthday!

I’m envious of your revision enthusiasm. For me, once I write that sucker I am happy to stick it in my rearview mirror, haha… I enjoy seeing revision improve things, but I definitely don’t get excited about rewriting it over and over. I feel like I ride on a creative high all through the drafting process and once the idea is out of my head, it’s harder to recall that feeling.

7. Erin Z. says:

Happy birthday! I do the same thing every year, so I feel your pain.

Revision is one of the hardest parts of writing IMO. Baby steps and you’ll make it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks! I’m hopefully through the woods on revisions now, and it’s such a relief! I feel like this MS is as good as I can make it right now.

8. Carrie says:

Congrats on finishing your revisions! I hear you on the birthday issue. Mine was last week and it really stressed me out (it always does) – not because of getting older but because it makes me feel like I’m not DOING enough somehow. Or not doing the right things? Urg – I hope you have a wonderful day and that you feel better when the day is over and done with ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, Carrie! I’m so glad I’m not alone in this. My husband is baffled by it, because he just doesn’t care about any of that stuff. I wish I didn’t care so much, haha…

9. Emma Adams says:

Revision IS hard, but so rewarding! Congratulations on finishing.

I hear you on the birthday-existential-crisis. Hope the anxiety stays away!

10. Leandra Wallace says:

I turned 31 last month. =) And yeah, revisions can be uber yucky sometimes. When I know what direction I’m going, I love them! When I don’t… hate them with a passion of then thousand burning suns. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy belated birthday!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Revisions are definitely not so bad when you have a good list and you know what the plan is. Then they’re just kind of tedious. But I think it’s getting to that point, finding the things that need to change and how to change them–that’s such a tough task sometimes!

11. Chuck Robertson says:

I have to agree with everyone else who says revision is hard. I’m revising a novel of my own and hope to have it done by the end of Summer. Then, who know what.

12. Jessica Bayliss says:

Ooohh! I want to do the summer challenge too!

Congrats on all your hard work, including everything that brought you to 31! I’m way older (but we won’t go there), so I feel your pain. That said, something about this end of 30 feels … just better … than the other side.