If you don’t follow Brain Pickings you are really missing out. It’s a fun site with tons of interesting stories, often with a literary bent. I recently saw this article about a man named Foster Huntington (awesome name, right?) who started a photo series about the things people would want to grab from their house, should it catch fire and burn down. You can see the photo series or submit your own at his website, here.
The website says:
If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It’s a conflict between what’s practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question.
For me, the answer is easy: my son, my cats, my husband, diaper bag. If I had time and presence of mind, I may also grab my boxes of old letters and pictures, the stuffed frog my husband bought our son on the day he was born and the quilt my grandmother made for me when I was little. Everything else is replaceable.
Then I thought about what my characters would take. In my current WIP, the MC is a budding actress who runs a fan site for a popular TV show, Phantasm. Here’s her list:
- external hard drive with all the fan site back-up files
- script from junior year performance of Beauty and the Beast with margin notes, signed by whole cast
- Limited Edition Phantasm box set
- Picture of her and sister, Anne, at Anne’s first ballet recital
- Bracelet BFF Lily brought back from her family trip to Guatemala
- Snacks, because hunger is hard
What would your characters (or you!) take with you? Feel free to let me know in the comments or answer on your blog and comment with the link!