Chamber of Secrets? Is That What the Kids Call it These Days?

This week’s RTW over at YA Highway asks: What movie have you seen that actually (gasp!) improved on the book?

I’d have to say my pick is HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

Let it be known that I did not start reading this series until the third movie was on its way into theaters. As such, I’d seen the first and second movies before I read the books, and frankly I’m happy that it turned out that way. If I hadn’t, I may not have dug into the series at all.

I loved the whole series, obvs, but the first two books were still a bit young for me. It wasn’t untilย I get into the meatier books that I really cemented my affection for HP. But I really liked the second movie. With the petrified children, Professor Lockhart, the duel between Harry and Draco, the basilisk, ย and all of that. And that’s what kept me reading. Made me continue on through the younger, more immature writing in the first couple books and into the exciting tomes that followed.

Are there any movie versions of books that you preferred? Are you as sad as I am that there are no more HP movies left to be excited about?

1. Colin says:

I, too, didn’t start reading Potter until the movie of Book 3 was already in production. However, I read the books first, so I came to the movies wondering how they recreated Harry’s world on film. I still think the books are better, but they did a really, really good job with the movies. In fact, those first couple of movies are my SecondBorn’s favorite of the entire series.

Overall, I agree that the books are better, but I still think the first two movies were better than the books just because the books were so young. And those were the slim ones too, so not as much was left out, at least not that I can recall…

2. stephanie says:

I am very sad about there being no more HP movies. I just watched the last one again this morning with my kids. So sad!

the duel between Harry and Draco is a favorite of mine too. As well as the interaction between Lockhart and Snape.

3. Beck says:

This was one that came to mind for me too. I’d probably go book and film equal though… but maybe that’s my love of the series as a whole making me biased.

4. Sarah says:

I’ve heard this from many HP fans! The first books (and even the movies for that matter) don’t really reflect how intense and mature the series gets. But I agree that many things in the first movies (including how incredible Kenneth Branagh was as Lockhart!) were more entertaining than the books. I’m glad they got you into the Harry Potter universe!

5. Sara Biren says:

I cried and cried when my son and I finished Deathly Hallows this January, and then I cried and cried when we watched the movies. I’m sad that it’s over. And I’m really sad that my daughter, who has seen movies 1 through 3, won’t have the same experience that my son and I did, reading the books first and then watching each movie.

You could always set it up so she can read the rest of the series before watching the movies? It was much much cooler to see everything in the movies once I had read further into the series.

Goblet of Fire was a pretty sweet movie. I liked how it was done, even if there was a lot left out. Like all book to movie adaptations. But that whole underwater scene always sticks with me from that movie, with the Viktor-shark and the creep-o mermaids. Love it!

6. Jennifer Hoffine says:

I have to admit to being charmed by HP from the beginning…it did become something way more intense and amazing, but the premise and world-building caught me right away.

I was also happy with how the movies brought that world to life.

7. Kris Atkins says:

The title of your post made me laugh! Hah!
    I didn’t read Harry Potter until after the 4th … or maybe just before it. At any rate, I agree with you–if I hadn’t known how awesome the later books were, I might not have read through the first two. They were quite young, and very much like their movie counterparts. But I’m so glad I did, because I luuuuurve Harry Potter. And I, too, mourn the end. ๐Ÿ™