It’s a Little Like Time Travel

So, I got back from my UK trip last week and I still feel that nagging, whining feeling where I just don’t want to go back to my daily life yet. Even though I already have. Daily life is for saps. I want to be on vacation all the time. Forever. With a never-ending bank account that doesn’t ever get frozen because your bank thinks someone stole your card and jetted off to the exact same locations that you called and warned them you would be traveling to…

Anyway, I haven’t posted for a while and I certainly held up the maybe part of Blog Me MayBe, but now I’m really home and the dry, antibacterial scent of my cubicle is forcing that realization pretty hard today so I thought I’d take a short break from my duties to post a late blog about my favorite book for May. Even though it’s nearly a week into June.

I did read INSURGENT in time for the YA Book Club, but I couldn’t come up with a post for it. I don’t know why. It was like, my mind went blank when it was time to review it. It wasn’t that I disliked INSURGENT, it was just that I didn’t particularly love it, either. I felt so ‘meh’ that I couldn’t force a blog post–like any praise or criticism that I wrote would ring false. Ambivalence! That’s the word. I was ambivalent.

I was NOT ambivalent, however, about LEXAPROS AND CONS by Aaron Karo. I actually won this book from Hilary Wagner when she interviewed Aaron, but I had been wanting to read it. It’s about the struggles of a boy with severe OCD, but in like, a funny, non-issue-booky way.

Chuck Taylor’s voice is eccentric and hilarious, very teenage boy, and sort of heartbreaking, too. He spends his days keeping up with a bevvy of routines–checking the stove, spinning the lock on his locker, tallying every time he mastur–yeah. He’s so very teenage boy. When a pretty new girl arrives in town, Chuck finds new inspiration to tackle his issues.

The characters are all well-drawn and though the storyline doesn’t deviate much from the standard of *scary issue-false sense of recovery-real recovery,* I still felt like it had emotional truth to it.

What was your favorite read in May?

1. Colin Smith says:

I think someone got the memo about YA male protagonists–or perhaps I’m just encountering more of them in my reading. Anyway, that’s good to see. Nothing against female protags, but you have to admtt, there are rather a lot of them in YA.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to my home land, Crystal. 🙂

It does seem like there have been more male protagonists, which is awesome! I love reading from a boys perspective.

And I totally enjoyed the trip and got so so sunburnt, which seems ridiculous to me. Both times I have been to the UK it’s been scorching hot and sunny. Somehow I think I’m not getting a realistic picture of what that place is really like 🙂

• Colin Smith says:

I can remember one Summer at school playing cricket, and fielding deep (i.e., standing way back from the action waiting for the guy batting to whack the ball my way–which rarely happened because the batsmen were either bad enough to not get the ball that far, or good enough to know where to hit it… though hitting it my way wasn’t particularly dangerous since I would probably miss it anyway). It was a warm Summer, and I vividly recall the stifling humidity and sweat pouring down my face. Now, it probably wasn’t much over 80F, but in the UK, that’s warm. So I don’t think your picture is too unrealistic. Hot days are not common, but not completely alien. 🙂

• Laurie Dennison says:

This book sounds great. I am all about having more boy protagonists, but I just had some agent feedback telling me I’m fighting an uphill battle with my MS because male protags are very difficult to sell. I’m glad to see some other readers agree with me!

We had really nice weather on our UK trip, too! (The hottest recorded day for that time of year in Scotland.) After watching the dreary Jubilee coverage this weekend, I’d agree that I have an unrealistic weather expectation, too. 🙂

Good luck with your boy protag, Laurie!

And maybe the UK is actually a sunny paradise all the time and they desperately try to keep it a secret from the world… sounds entirely plausible.

Yeah, I don’t know what it was about INSURGENT that just didn’t inspire me to talk about it. Weird! Maybe it’s just that there are so many people talking about it that I have nothing left to add?

2. Jaime Morrow says:

Okay, first off: they froze your account after you told them you’d be away?! That’s just terrible. We were in the UK in May too, and I made sure to call and let our banks know, so I’d be pretty ticked if the same thing happened to us. Hope you had a good trip anyway.

I kind of agree with you about INSURGENT. I didn’t love it as much as the first, so writing a review for it was tough. I did write one, but I think it may have come off a little harsher than I actually felt about the book. Probably best to avoid it if you’re feeling ambivalent. 🙂

The book you did choose sounds fascinating! Will have to check it out.

Maybe we crossed paths at some point! Where did you go?

We actually called the bank a few times and went in in person, since they kept having issues when we paid for hotel rooms in advance, etc. Then they froze it the minute we bought our late dinner in London upon arrival. Unfroze it once we emailed them. Froze it AGAIN. It was frustrating, lol. Especially since my husband’s credit card is also tied to the bank, and they’d freeze both accounts. We might need a new bank… luckily we had brought some cash, and my credit card saved the day at one point 🙂

That was my thoughts about INSURGENT, that I didn’t want to come across as having really disliked it or something, I didn’t hate it. I didn’t love it either. Just meh.