I’m Two Books Behind!!!

WIJFR, thanks to a giveaway hosted by Alison Miller 🙂

I’m a big fan of goals. I don’t always reach them, but I like to set them. This year I’ve set a reading goal of 100 books, which is either a lot or a little depending on who you are. For me, it’s enough to be a challenge, but not so much that it will interfere with my normal life. I may or may not be occasionally padding the numbers with a graphic novel here and there. Judge away.

So, in honor of Blog Me Maybe’s May I ask something about you? day: Do you have any reading goals for this year? Do you like goals, or are you the kind of rebel that just reads whenever you feel like it and thinks keeping count is crass?

1. Jennifer Pickrell says:

I go a little crazy with my reading goals each month (or so my husband thinks!) since I have “themes” and all that. I don’t get too upset when I don’t read all the books I’d planned, tho.

My total yearly goal is 50, which is what I aim for every year – I always know I’ll make it, so that’s really the main reason I pick that number 🙂

Mostly I like to keep track of the titles so when I’m looking back in December I can go, “Oh yeah, I almost forgot I read that!”

50 is a good number. That was my goal last year and I exceeded it, so I figured I should give myself a challenge 🙂

And I totally have to keep track of my reads. I use Goodreads to do it, otherwise I would never remember them all!

2. Carrie-Anne says:

I never really thought about setting a goal for number of books read, the same way I don’t really care about keeping track of counting words in what I’m writing. It can unnecessarily stress someone out if s/he thinks the goal isn’t being met.

True, goals can be stressful, but I find that they motivate me more than they stress me out. If I don’t read 100 books this year, I won’t beat myself up over it 🙂

3. Robin Moran says:

I signed up for two challenges this year. A YA one to read more from the market and another called Off the Shelf. That one is just to read books that have been lurking on your shelf for too long. So far they’ve worked pretty well for getting some books read and bringing me back into the YA market.

I’m a fan of goals, too. This year, I want to read more books than last year, try some new genres out, and catch up on some classics I’ve neglected.

That’s a good way to set goals and keep things challenging.

I do have a bunch of classics sitting on my TBR shelf… I need to get to those at some point.

In fact, I think I am officially going to take your lead and read everything I have before buying anything new. Moratorium on buying new books until I’ve read the ones I have. Starting NOW!