February Reads!

Best read in February!  YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday!

This isn’t a tough answer:  THE FAULT IN OUR STARS.  But I already reviewed the crap out of TFIOS, complete with crazy spoilers, and I don’t really have much else to say about it–other than, it was as good as everyone says it is.  Which is a rare feat.

Because I hate to keep recommending the same books over and over, I want to note a couple more books that I read and LOVED this month!  SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi was probably my second favorite YA read.  I really enjoyed the unique, lyrical style of writing, and you really get a sense that Juliette is kind of crazy-pants.  I can’t wait for the sequel, when we will surely get a more nuanced portrait of Warner, who I suspect is a lot more deeply layered than he appears in this first book.

Also, in the non-YA world, I read MR. FUNNY PANTS by Michael Showalter, and it had me cracking up the entire time.  Granted, I’ve always been a huge fan of Showalter’s comedic endeavors, but I enjoyed getting more insight into his life.  I have a thing for biographies, because I love seeing behind-the-scenes in peoples’ real lives.  Perhaps that makes me a bit voyeuristic, but I’m OK with that.

What were your favorite reads in February?

1. Angelica R. Jackson says:

I do want to read Shatter Me; it’s in my TBR pile, but I’m not going to be reading as much in the next few months while I slog through the rest of the first draft of Crow’s Rest. I’ll get to it though!

2. Susan says:

“…it was as good as everyone says it is. Which is a rare feat.” Haha so true.

All of these books sound like worthwhile reads–I just need to find time for it all… :0

It is HILARIOUS, but also really interesting. Some of the sketches he writes about his younger life have made me love him even more. Spoiler: He was super awkward.

I agree that it’s interesting to see what makes people tick–even if the phrasing of this reminds me of Sylar from the show Heroes… I don’t like to see how people tick in the same way that he does, lol.

Wow, I just looked THE TIGER’S WIFE up on Goodreads and it sounds like it would be really detailed and amazing. I will definitely add that to my TBR pile, thanks!

I’d heard good things about SHATTER ME prior to reading too, but it was better than I anticipated, really. Mafi uses language in really poetic, unexpected ways. It’s definitely unique in that respect.

3. Kris Atkins says:

I wish Juliette had stayed a bit more crazy by the end of the book. That was my favorite thing about her. But yes, SHATTER ME was quite good. I’d kill for Tahereh Mafi’s talent.

Clearly, Warner’s sociopathic tendencies have rubbed off on you… 😉 I would probably only maim for her talent–break bones or something…