A Few of My Favorite Things

IHO of YA Highway’s Valentine’s Day Lovefest.

This Valentine’s Day, there are too many things to love.  Like, my husband, and laughter, and friendships in which grammar jokes are fully appreciated.

How my cat’s paws won’t grip on our hardwood floor, so whenever he tries to run he slides all around like a cartoon character.

When I think someone is going to be rude, and they are super-nice instead.

But what I’m dedicating my valentine to this year, is cute fictional boys.  Because they’re cute, and—do I need other reasons than that?

Here’s to you, cute fictional boys!

You get away with far more than I would ever allow in a real relationship.

You’re wounded.  Tortured.

There are scars.  Or tattoos.

Your eyelashes are very long.

Your memory is practically elephantine, especially when it comes to your lady.

Your capacity to wait for love is astonishingly unlike any boy I’ve ever known.

And when you finally kiss someone, you KISS them.  With feelings.  Often in some way that is delightfully central to the overarching narrative.

1. Colin says:

The fine line between fact and fiction. How realistic must our novels be–even if we’re writing Contemporary? It is fiction, after all. I mean, if someone says your characters are not realistic, isn’t it perfectly valid to reply, “It’s a novel, dummy! It’s all made up!”

Seriously, though, while there clearly must be a sense of realism, you *are* writing fiction, and you must be allowed to let loose with your creativity and fantasy. That’s part of the fun. 🙂

I think there is a seperate, more perfect reality that exists in fiction–and it’s plausible. But, in the cold light of the day, much of what happens in fiction is not very realistic. It’s part of why I love fiction!

2. Liz Parker says:

I love this but don’t always agree. Have you read Hunger Games (my most recent read with cute fictional boys)? I get so frustrated with Peeta for not just putting Katniss in her place and making it clear he loves her. And I get mad at Gale for not fighting for her. But I do love cute fictional boys.

They get a free pass because they don’t really exist 🙂 IRL boys need to get their crap together and deal with their issues before they can win a girl over.

3. Melanie says:

Great post. I love me some fictional boys too.
    Thanks for your compliments on my persuasion redo, except it’s not YA. It’s adult. She’s 27 just like Anne Elliot is, although the flashbacks are from high school.

Ooooh… gotcha. It’s still an awesome concept. I guess I just assumed YA because I had been playing with the idea of doing a YA version of Persuasion myself, and I’ve seen a few other ladies in the blogosphere that are planning a YA version. All the same, I love that story and I could read a million adaptations, YA or not 🙂

4. Robin Moran says:

Ahh fictional boys. So different from real ones. But to be honest with all the drama that happens with them I’m quite glad to have a simple, non-dramatic relationship with my boyfriend. I don’t think I could have put up with them easily like the heroines do. Losing my temper would happen a lot!