I love love.

Friday Fives!  Yay!  I love it when I don’t have to come up with ideas to blog about on my own.  I’m feeling creatively lazy lately—must be the new full-time day job.  I’ve joined the cubicle ranks and all of the creativity stifling that goes along with it.  Woohoo.

So, today at Paper Hangover, they asked us to list out our five favorite contemporary YA novels.  Contemporary is absolutely my favorite genre within YA, so I have plenty to choose from.  Here they are—and yes, they’re in order.

1.  Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins.
  2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.
  3. Audrey Wait! By Robin Benway.
  4. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
  5. Just Listen & The Truth About Forever (tied!) by Sarah Dessen.

Notice a trend?  Yeah, I heart romance and tinglies and love and cute boys.  I especially heart Stephanie Perkins.

Did you love any of these novels too?  Did you have dreams about Cricket Bell for days after reading LOLA like I did?  What are some of your favorite YA contemporaries?

1. Jennifer Pickrell says:

I bought “Just Listen” at a used bookstore the other day, I’ll have to move it higher in my TBR-pile. I loved The Truth About Forever. And Anna.

The rest are on my TBR-list, I’ll have to bump them up!

Yay for YA Contemp!

If you loved Anna, you totally have to read Lola! I thought nothing could top Anna, but I ended up staying awake until the early morning hours just to finish Lola, which I haven’t done for a book in ages.

2. kate scott says:

If I’d been allowed to pick six, Lola would have been on my list. I still feel kind of guilty for leaving her off. I did include Along for the Ride on my list ’cause it’s my favorite of Sarah Dessens novels, but The Truth about Forever is a very very close second.

Aw, poor Lola. I’m sure she gets plenty of love so she probably won’t be too disappointed that you didn’t include her. I think I’m going to need to pick up Along for the Ride with all the hype it’s getting today!

3. Jaime says:

I have the same theme (Romance) for my own Friday Fives list 🙂 Gotta love those book boys and book relationships that give you the ‘tinglies’, hey? I too have ANNA and LOLA on my list 🙂

4. Elodie says:

I love when I get the butterflies reading books 😀 and Stephanie Perkins definitely masters this with her couples..and getting the voice just right!
    I need to read Sarah Dessen, I think I would quite enjoy her books 🙂

Yes! Stephanie Perkins is like my BFF–except she doesn’t know it. I’ve been re-reading sections of Lola and Anna to try to figure out how she does what she does–I want to write butterflies, too!

Read it! I’d love to know if you enjoyed it. I thought it was awesome that she did the musical research to inform Owen and his tastes. It’s always fun to learn about new bands that are outside of the mainstream. Owen even mentioned a sort of obscure Russian punk rock band that my husband and I bonded over when we were dating 🙂