Resolution Redux

There is a quote by every author ever that says “Write every day.”  Often, I am shocked at how many people are actually adhering to this standard.  It’s like when someone says “Exercise every day,” and everyone nods and promises to be diligent about exercise from now on, but the number of people who actually run with that advice is kind of slim.

Confession:  I do not write every day.  Not even close.  In fact, if you do then you should know I am cripplingly jealous of you.  You are doing something for yourselves and for your writing that I have not yet begun to do for myself or my writing.

For a while there, I didn’t even have a day job.  I had let my freelancing lapse so I wasn’t getting any projects to work on, and we were in between moves so I hadn’t started the day time slog that is office work.  And I still didn’t write every day.  Of course, there were extenuating life circumstances that I used as an excuse not to write.  Life was being hard, so all I wanted to do was curl up with my cat and watch trashy TV.

The excuses helped me not feel so bad about neglecting my passion, but now that writing time has all been lost.  Forever.  I can never get it back.  And that sort of sucks.  It means that my WIP is not as close to being done as it should be and that I am still further from the agent querying stage.  Alas!

I’d like to end this post by saying, “Now I do write every day and it’s fabulous and I am reaching/exceeding my goals on a regular basis!”  Nope.  Even after the turmoil has passed, I have still not gotten back to a writing routine.  And I miss it so much my heart aches—but not in that heart-attacky way.  It aches like when you are craving a slice of pie all day, only to come home and find the pie pan empty in the sink.

So I have a new 2012 resolution:  Write every day.  (Blog posts count, because I said so.)

Do you write every day?  If so, how do you do it?  Can you mentor me?  Or just give me a write-every-day pill that I can pop like a vitamin?  Kthx.

I totally think blogging counts, as do long emails! Writing every day is a great thing to aspire to, but not very feasible. Sometimes life gets in the way and sometimes you need a break. (Says a person who does not write every day)

I’m so relieved that I’m not the only one–it certainly feels that way sometimes. And I totally do long emails, and I didn’t even think about counting those! I’m can be a verbose and frequent emailer, so maybe I am closer to an every day writer than I think 😉

2. Jennifer Pickrell says:

I wish I had the discipline to write every day! But it’s hard for me to stop once I get started, so I usually reserve “blocks” on the weekend, so I can have hours of uninterupted time…no errands to run, no dinner to cook, no day job to worry about.

I do read every day, though.

That’s a smart way to chart out writing time. My problem is that by the time the weekend rolls around, I just want to be outside and doing things. Doesn’t matter what, as long as I am out of the house. I used to spend some of my weekend time writing in cafes, so maybe I should start that back up again!

And I totally read everyday, too, so there is that 🙂 *Pats us both on the back*

3. Kris Atkins says:

I don’t write every day, but I write most days. When I go too long without writing, I feel unhappy. I try to write every day, but there are some days when it’s just not going to work. So I don’t beat myself up over things that are out of my control.
    Every writer is different! There’s no one right day to write a book. 🙂

Very true! I’ve been sticking to this new resolution so far, but I agree that no one should beat themselves up over not meeting a goal. Sometimes things really are out of our own control.