In Which YA Highway Makes Me Start Planning my Next Vacation

I'm actually saving the website for this cabin. It looks amazing.

This week’s YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday asks: Describe your dream writing retreat. Where would you go? Who and what would you bring?

My first inclination is a castle–because I totally want to live in a castle 24/7–but I’d want to check out all the nooks and crannies.  For me, curiosity and exploration would be deadly to any productivity.  Familiarity would probably be a good foil to my curiosity.  If it was a place I knew, or a place I could easily return to, then I’d be far more likely to use my time writing.

It’d have to be somewhere remote.  Not so remote that ambulances couldn’t find me in the event of some untimely medical emergency, but remote enough that I could drink tea in my underwear on the front porch.  Not that I would.  I’m asking for a friend.

And last, I’d love to be surrounded in nature.  To look out an open window and see green.  To be able to take hiking breaks to gather my thoughts.  A fireplace and a giant bathtub (preferably jetted) wouldn’t hurt, either.

So, I’m thinking I would go to one of three places:

1) Blue Ridge mountains.

2) Upper peninsula of Michigan.

3) Somewhere outside of Seattle, with a mountain view.

I’d have to bring my laptop, obvs, and probably some cozy clothes to wear.  Lots of snacks.  I would probably bring my husband, but only under the condition that he spend most of his time programming and leaving me alone.  He’d mainly just be there for totally un-biased feedback and to ward off any potential murderers and/or rapists that might be lurking in the woods.

Where would you go for your dream writing retreat?  What would you bring along?

1. Jaime says:

That cabin is really nice! I have to agree with the Upper peninsula of Michigan. I grew up just north of there in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and we spent a lot of time in that neck of the woods. Petoskey, Mackinaw Island – all beautiful 🙂 Great choices!

My dad grew up in Munising, so we spent a lot of summers up around the Pictured Rocks area and along Lake Superior. It’s definitely a place that I know well, yet it’s still pretty and inspiring… win, win! 🙂

2. Colin Smith says:

A castle! Yes… but not as a retreat… as a home! 😀 That would be such fun. If you like isolation, you could have your writing room at the top of a tall tower (with an elevator if you don’t like climbing steps). Or you could use a large room on a lower floor with a fireplace and lots of bookshelves. *sigh!*

You can’t have an elevator in a castle! That’s just plain wrong. The only way into my turret would be climbing up a ladder of human hair–because that’s not creepy at all.

“Not so remote that ambulances couldn’t find me in the event of some untimely medical emergency, but remote enough that I could drink tea in my underwear on the front porch.” Love this! I am one of those people who gets nervous traveling to places far from emergency rooms.
    That is one lovely-looking cabin.

OMG. I didn’t think anyone shared that fear with me. If I go somewhere semi-remote, I tend to Google nearby hospitals beforehand, just in case. I’m happy to know I’m not alone in this anxiety!

Absolutely. It would be situated between mountains, valleys and the ocean, so I could have any view I preferred that day 🙂

4. Angelica R. Jackson says:

I forgot to include my husband in my RTW retreat plans, but I think you’re on the right track. I’d send him out birding during the day, and then he can come back to the snug little hideaway and we can catch each other up on our day.

P.S. I had a hard time finding your blog the last few times, because your blogger profile has a broken link.

5. Robin Moran says:

That cabin looks lovely. I’d have something like if I could afford it. Somewhere nice and quiet to escape to for writing or just for a peaceful weekend getaway. 🙂

6. Brandi says:

Nowadays when I plan vacations, I choose places where I can create. It’s usually in the forest somewhere like Mendocino, or in a cottage like in Point Reyes or Calistoga. There’s just something magical about being near nature.