The Adorableness of Boys in Love

This week in YA Highway:

What supporting character from a
YA book would you most like to
see star in their own novel?

Of course, the Potter world provides a wealth of awesome secondary characters.  My Potter pick would absolutely be Hermione.  She’s strong, smart, and she hits Draco in the face.  After the last movie, I found this article and, although it’s satire, it really spoke to what a series about Hermione could be about:  In Praise of Joanne Rowling’s Hermione Granger Series

BUT!  This isn’t just about Potter.  There are so many more secondary characters that I would love to read about:

Jonah Griggs from Jellicoe Road.

Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games.

Marcus Flutie from the Jessica Darling series.

Will Kellar from The Luxe.

It’s probably pretty clear from this list that I want to read boy-centric romances.  Love stories, in general, are my Kryptonite, but I LOVE reading about boys pining after girls.  I’m not sure what the difference is, really.  Maybe it’s because I have experienced the whole girl pining after boy thing (over and over) IRL, but books/movies are the only way I can get an inside perspective of a boy pining for a girl.  And, let’s face it, it’s freaking adorable when boys are in love.

1. Kate Norris says:

I was so close to picking Peeta! I LOVE him, and I totally agree that there’s a lack of boy-narrated love stories (or story-stories) in YA. I’ve definitely been craving some male POV lately.

Also, I really like your blog design. So clean! So pretty!

Aw, thanks 🙂 There is some good male POV YA out there, but not enough! The proliferation of female YA MCs seems weirdly opposite to fiction/movies/TV in general.

2. Colin Smith says:

If I had to choose a secondary character to star in a new Potter book, I would probably go for Lupin (backstory of course… sniff…). He seems to me to be the closest thing to a male Hermione, and, not to put Hermione–or female protags–down, but the smart female tends to be a bit of a stereotype these days. Am I wrong? Maybe I’m just not widely read. Just my impression. Anyway… Interesting choices. 🙂

Yes, Lupin would make an excellent MC! And it would be so Russian, what with how his story ends. As far as the smart female as a stereotype–forgive me if I get a little ranty here–I feel like it’s a reaction against a long-time male-centric bent in entertainment. Women have a long history of being portrayed as less-than. Perhaps it’s not really a stereotype, as much as its a decision to portray women the same way as men are portrayed. We wouldn’t think of “smart male” as a stereotype, because it’s almost a societal given that the male lead will be intelligent. I think I know what you mean, though, is more like, smarty-pants type females than just intelligent female characters. And that is a pretty well-worn trope in YA.

• Colin says:

Yes, I think you’re right that the strong, intelligent female lead is a positive reaction against old stereotypes. But it would be nice to see some smarty-pants males in YA. And from the way Rowling describes the Marauders, Lupin was just that. 🙂

I was more of a Gale fan, personally, but I would love a Peeta book, too. The Hunger Games is full of fantastic supporting characters.

Gale would be interesting, too, I bet. I was more in love with Peeta, but I bet a Gale book would sway me to the other side. If I really got to see him brood and pine for Katniss.

4. Tracey Neithercott says:

I love books from the POV of a boy in love. (Which is one of the many reasons I’m such a fan of John Green books, I think.)

And a Hermione novel would be seriously awesome. She’s earned her own story!

5. Bailey says:

You’re so right about boy romances. I think I like them because I like the idea that boys, while not exactly forthcoming with the romance IRL, can also feel the same way about us as we do about them. It’s nice.

Absolutely. You know they feel it–they just don’t talk about it. So I like to read about it and get a small glimpse at the inner-workings of the male psyche 🙂