Gorgeous Book Covers!

This week in YA Highway’s RTW!  What are your all-time favorite book covers?

I know we’re not supposed to judge books by covers, but I totally do ALL THE TIME.  And I’m almost always right.  Good covers = good books.  You’ll notice, I am highly attracted to bright colors.  Like a bumblebee.

Blankets by Craig Thompson

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Broken by Daniel Clay

And, though this was not the question, here is a book where the cover did NOT do justice to the story.  I might even go so far as to say that I HATED this cover.  Hate everything about it.  It looks like it came straight out of 1985, and not in a good way.  Loved the story, and it’s super well-written, but this cover was a major, major fail for me.

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

1. Sarah says:

I LOVE ALL OF THESE. Seriously, this is an excellently curated selection. I hadn’t thought of A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING GENIUS (man I love writing out/saying that title) but it was a fantastic choice of cover for so many reasons.

And I agree, WHEN YOU REACH ME is not done justice by that cover. It looks like a picture book, right?

Thanks 🙂 When You Reach Me totally does look like a picture book. Or a really, really dumbed down middle grade. It’s neither, so the cover is just painful!

2. Tracey Neithercott says:

I love The Perks of Being a Wallflower cover. It’s so simple and that photo’s great.

I actually liked When You Reach Me’s cover, though I think it could have used a less childish-feeling cover and captured more of the feel of the story.

I guess to each their own 🙂 I think that the reason I hate the cover is exactly that: it didn’t capture the feel of the story. Not for me, anyway. There is so much in that story that would translate to AWESOME cover art, but this is all we get 🙁

3. Colin Smith says:

Of these, the cover that caught my attention was An Abundance of Katherines. A combination of the cover and the title actually made me go look it up on Amazon. A YA novel by a guy with a male protagonist?? I might have to check this out!

Thanks, Crystal!

You’re right, yours are all pretty similar. Shadowy and mystical. I wonder if our preferences say something about our personalities… though I don’t think I’m especially bright and colorful, lol.